How to securely connect to Deakin off-site using the Virtual Private Network (VPN) (Linux computers)
Install the Cisco AnyConnect software
Deakin University does not provide Linux computers to staff. If you use a Linux computer, you will have to provide it yourself and, as a result, you’ll need to install the pre-configured version of the Cisco AnyConnect client to be able to connect to the Deakin VPN.
- Go to the Deakin Software Library and select Browse By Category
- Under Connectivity tools select Cisco AnyConnect
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect for Linux on your machine
- Follow these steps:
tar -zxvf anyconnect-linux64-4.6.04056-predeploy-k9.tar.gz
Start the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
- On your computer, search for and open Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- If Cisco AnyConnect is not in your applications menu, open a terminal and enter the command shown below:
There are two VPNs to choose from, depending on where your connecting from. If you're working from home or from a trusted network, type vpn.deakin.edu.au/unencrypted. If you're working from overseas or from an unknown network, type vpn.deakin.edu.au/encrypted.
- You now need to enter your Deakin username and password. If you have not registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), leave the ‘Enter PIN or ‘PUSH’’ field blank, then click OK. If you have registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), open the DUO app on your mobile device to obtain a PIN (see image below) and click OK. Or, enter the word ‘PUSH’ and click OK, then tap Approve on your mobile device.
Note: The 3rd Box may appear for the first time as “Second Password”. After successful connection, this will appear next time as "Enter PIN or 'PUSH':".
- Check your connection status. You should now be Connected.
After successful connection using vpn.deakin.edu.au/encrypted, a profile name "Deakin VPN Encrypted Internet" will appear next time in the list of connections.
After successful connection using vpn.deakin.edu.au/unencrypted, a profile name "Deakin VPN Unencrypted Internet" will appear next time in the list of connections.