Establishing a secure (VPN) connection to Deakin using Cisco AnyConnect (Windows)
If you have a Deakin Desktop or Deakin Shield computer, the software is already pre-installed on your computer. Please go straight to the section in this document titled Start the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection.
It can also be installed from the Software Center.
Install the Cisco AnyConnect software
- Open the Deakin Software Library and select Browse By Category
- Under Connectivity tools select Cisco AnyConnect
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Windows
- Launch the Cisco AnyConnect installer. The program will install the software and required settings - no further action is required.
Start the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
- Search the installed programs on your computer and open Cisco – AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- Click Connect in the Cisco AnyConnect box
- Enter your Deakin Username and Password - this will establish a secure connection to the Deakin network
After the first setup Cisco AnyConnect will remember your Username, but it will always require you to enter your Password. This provides increased security.
- An active connection is indicated by the following icon in your tray
Disconnect the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
- To end your secure connection, click on the AnyConnect icon in the system tray, and click Disconnect
- Close the Cisco AnyConnect window.
If Cisco AnyConnect has difficulty re-connecting when you are using it, please try closing it, and click on the Cisco AnyConnect to restart it.
Watch the video on How to create a shortcut to the VPN client