Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) – Installation & Usage Instructions (macOS)
This article will demonstrate how to install and use Cisco AnyConnect VPN, which is required to access certain shared drives or services required by Deakin.
Table of Contents
- First, please visit the Deakin Software Library and search for "Cisco AnyConnect".
Otherwise you can use the Categories sidebar and navigate to Connectivity Tools > Mobile Apps > Cisco AnyConnect.
- On the Cisco AnyConnect page, scroll down to "Download Cisco AnyConnect for Windows, Mac and Linux", and select it.
You'll be prompted with a number of options. Select "Download for Mac" beneath the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. This will typically be the second option.
- At Launchpad, open the downloaded .pkg file (typically named CiscoAnyConnect4.6-BYOD.pkg). The program will install the software and apply the required settings.
- If you receive the error shown below, you can follow the following steps to fix it.
- Use Finder and locate the CiscoAnyConnect .pkg file.
- Control-click the CiscoAnyConnect .pkg icon, then choose "Open" from the shortcut menu.
- Click "Open".
- Click "Continue", and follow the prompts to install.
If you attempt to install Cisco AnyConnect on your Mac and it complains that the software is already installed, but you don't see it in Applications, attempt the following.
- First, you will need to have your Mac 'Forget' the installation.
Open the Terminal app.
- In the command line, enter the following:
sudo pkgutil --forget com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn
- If the command line is executed successfully, proceed to reinstall Cisco AnyConnect.
- Once the installation is completed, restart your computer and open, Cisco AnyConnect Security Mobility Client.
Using Cisco AnyConnect
- Whenever your log into your computer, Cisco AnyConnect will automatically be docked in your active apps.
If it's not open, navigate to your Applications, search for, and open, Cisco AnyConnect Security Mobility Client.
- In the window that opens up, you will be prompted with a drop-down menu with which service you'd like to connect to. Select the option you need, then select "Connect".
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter your Deakin Username, and your Deakin Password.
- As a Deakin staff member, or anyone using MFA with Duo Mobile, you will be required to enter a second password.
Open your Duo Mobile app, or prepare your MFA token.
- The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client will minimise as it connects you to the VPN session. Different pop-up windows will appear in succession with the message “Network access allowed.” This indicates a successful VPN connection.
- If all log-in information is correct, you should log in successfully after a brief period of Cisco AnyConnect loading.
If you need to disconnect, simply click the "Disconnect" button in the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
Next time you need to connect to the VPN, please be aware you will be prompted to sign in again.
Enabling your Firewall
Occasionally you might be unable to connect with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN if your firewall is disabled or otherwise turned off.
Attempt to troubleshoot by following the steps below:
- Choose 'System Preferences' from the Apple menu.
- Click 'Security' or 'Security & Privacy'.
- Click the 'Firewall' tab.
- Unlock the pane by clicking the lock in the lower-left corner and enter the administrator username and password.
- Click 'Turn On Firewall' or 'Start' to enable the firewall.
The VPN will not work if you're on campus or connected to Deakin Wi-Fi. Similarly, System Scan will not work if your computer is connected to Deakin Wi-Fi or the Deakin wired network. If this is the case, you may see the below messages: