How to securely connect to Deakin off-site using the Virtual Private Network (VPN) (Mac computers)
- Go to the Deakin Software Library and select Browse By Category
- Under Connectivity tools select Cisco AnyConnect
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Mac
- At Launchpad, open the downloaded CiscoAnyConnect pkg file. The program will install the software and apply the required settings - no further action is required.
- If you receive the error shown below, you can follow the following steps to fix it.
- Use Finder and locate the CiscoAnyConnect pkg file
- Control-click the CiscoAnyConnect pkg icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open.
- Click Continue, and follow the prompts to install.
Start the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
If you're using a Deakin computer, you can proceed to connect to the Deakin VPN following the steps below, without having to install any new software.
Note: Both VPNs require you to use Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) if DUO is active on your staff or student account. We've outlined more information about this below.
- On your computer, search for and open Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- The VPN window will open. Select a VPN from the drop down menu, then click Connect. There are two VPNs to choose from. Both VPNs are very secure.
- Deakin VPN Unencrypted Internet – Use this VPN if you’re working from home or from a trusted network. Deakin traffic goes through the VPN tunnel, while Internet traffic goes outside the tunnel directly via ISP.
- Deakin VPN Encrypted Internet – Use this VPN if you’re working overseas or from an unknown network (like public Wi-Fi). Deakin and Internet traffic go through the VPN tunnel. This VPN may make your connection slower, so we recommend only using it if you need to and instead using the unencrypted connection if working from home.
- You now need to enter your Deakin username and password. If you have not registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), leave the ‘Enter PIN or ‘PUSH’’ field blank, then click OK. Note: the 'Enter PIN or 'PUSH' field may appear as 'Second Password' the first time you connect to the VPN. Follow the steps as if it reads 'Enter PIN or 'PUSH'.
If you have registered for Multi-Factor Authentication (DUO), open the DUO app on your mobile device to obtain a PIN to enter in the 'Enter PIN or PUSH' or 'Second Password' field, and click OK. Or, enter the word ‘PUSH’ in this field and click OK, then tap Approve on the DUO app on your mobile device.
- The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client will minimise as it connects you to the VPN session. Different pop-up windows will appear in succession with the message “Network access allowed.” This indicates a successful VPN connection.
Note: Your web browser may pop-up as shown in the image below the first time you connect to the VPN, as your computer installs any required updates. You can ignore or close the pop-up browser window and it will not impact the connection. Clicking Start will only display the progress.
- You’ll be able to see if you’re connected to the VPN, if the following icon is in the menu bar, located at the bottom of the desktop.
Disconnect the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN) connection
- To end your VPN connection, click on the AnyConnect icon in the menu bar on the desktop.
- Click Disconnect.
Note: The VPN will not work if you're on campus or connected to Deakin Wi-Fi. Similarly, System Scan will not work if your computer is connected to Deakin Wi-Fi or the Deakin wired network. If this is the case, you may see the below messages: