How do I join a Virtual Meeting Point (VMP) using Skype for Business? (Windows)
Deakin staff and students can now use Skype for Business to connect to a Virtual Meeting Point (VMP) and join a Deakin video conference, on any device. This is particularly handy if you don't have access to a video conferencing room.
Features and limitations
When you connect to a VMP using Skype for Business, you will have full audio and video capability, and be able to:
- Present your desktop to the VMP
- Present a program to the VMP (i.e. PowerPoint)
- Mute yourself, and turn your video on or off
- Change your screen layout (i.e. speaker view, gallery view, content view)
- Receive content that is being presented in a room, if the video conference is being held there and you have dialled in.
However, because the VMP is not a person, you will not be able to:
- Instant Message (IM) the VMP
- Record the video conference
- Transfer a call to the VMP
- Present a PowerPoint presentation file (however you can present the progam, PowerPoint, then run the presentation)
- Use polling and whiteboards
Note: Inviting more attendees from Skype for Business into the meeting (internal or external) will work, but it is not recommended. If other students or staff need to join the VMP, they should dial in directly from their own devices, or another room.
How to join a VMP using Skype for Business on a Windows computer
- Open Skype for Business.
- In the search bar, enter the VMP number you want to join, followed by @conference.deakin.edu.au (e.g. email@example.com).
You can also search using the VMP name (e.g. *VMP DeS Programs & Change 1), or search by *VMP (area name), or search by the 5 digit VMP number.
A full list of VMP numbers is available at Deakin Virtual Meeting Point (VMP) Numbers
- Double-click on the VMP you want to join. This will open a new Skype for Business session.
- Click on the voice or video icon to dial and join the VMP.
How to add a VMP to your Skype for Business contacts
- Open Skype for Business.
- In the search bar, enter the VMP number you want to save, followed by @conference.deakin.edu.au (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Right-click on the VMP you want to save, then select Add to Contacts and choose the group you want to save the contact to.
Tip: Keep your VMP's organised and easy-to-find by creating a contact group for them.
How to join a VMP from your Outlook calendar
Note: You can only join a VMP from your Outlook calendar if you have personally booked the video conference meeting yourself in Outlook. The VMP will be shown as a resource attached to the meeting appointment.
- Open the Outlook appointment for the video conference.
- Hover over the VMP entry to show the Skype for Business controls.
- Click the Call or Video icon to dial and join the VMP.
What to do if you receive an ‘unable to connect to VMP' error message
- Sign-out of your Skype for Business client.
- Click Delete my sign-in info.
- Click Sign-in and sign back in to Skype for Business using your full Deakin email address.