What is video conferencing?
Deakin eSolutions (DeS) provides a video conferencing service to allow teaching activities and administrative meetings to occur between participants who are physically in separate locations, such as across campus or between institutions.
Video conferencing can save time and money, by reducing the effort and costs associated with travel between campuses.
Video conferencing equipment transmits audio and video signals across the network between two or more locations. It aims to give participants the experience that everyone is in the room together.
Video conferencing facilities are installed in certain meeting rooms and lecture theatres at each campus. Many faculties and other areas have also purchased Tandberg/CISCO video conferencing equipment for use within their area.
What video conferencing services are available from DeS?
As part of delivering the video conferencing service, DeS undertakes the following at no cost:
- Room audit, ordering and installation of CISCO videoconferencing equipment.
- Support and maintenance of CISCO videoconferencing equipment still within support life-cycle (usually up to five years old), including liaising with our support provider for replacement of failed parts.
- Scheduling of video conferences (you may incur costs for video conferences that connect outside the Deakin network).
- On-site support of video conferences, when remote monitoring is not sufficient.
- Training in the use of video conference equipment.
DeS undertakes the following by negotiation, and may charge a fee for doing so:
- Scheduling and set-up of video conferences for external customers, such as conference bookings.
- On-site support or on-call support for video conferences outside of DeS hours of operation (8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).
DeS does not currently provide support for the following (if you have a special need, please contact the IT Service Desk):
- Desktop video conferencing (for example: when you use a web camera to connect to a video conference).
- Recording or streaming of video conferences (this service is currently under development).
- Support or maintenance of video conference units not owned by the University or not manufactured by Tandberg/CISCO.