Installing Self Service software on a Deakin Desktop Mac
Self Service is part of the Jamf Pro suite that helps manage your Mac. It provides a Mac App Store-like catalogue enabling you to install any optional packaged software that is available to your computer.
How do I start the installation?
- Click the Self Service icon located in the Dock.
- The Self Service application will launch. The Featured category appears on the home page by default. It will list a few of the most popular applications that are available to you. Other categories are available on the left-hand side of the screen.
- To see items in a specific category, click the category label, (e.g. Applications) in the left-hand sidebar. To see everything assigned to your Mac, click All.
- If you're looking for a specific item, use the Search box in the top left corner.
- When you've located an item to install, click its icon to display more information about it. Read the information and click the Install button to install the application.
If you're previously installed the application, the Install button may read Reinstall.
- The Install button changes to show the installation status.
- You can Close the information screen without canceling the installation.
- To install multiple applications, click the Install button for each item. Self Service will queue the installations and perform each one in order.
- To see the progress of multiple installations, click the Activity tab at the top of Self Service.
You can also use Activity to Reinstall previously installed apps.
- A message will display if you need to restart. Save your work, quit all applications, then select Restart… from the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
Other resources within self service
The Self Service Bookmarks category contains other resources to help you use your computer more efficiently, or to get assistance when you need it. These open in your default web browser.
Updating required software
Required software is standard software that everyone in the University needs to have. Jamf Pro automatically discovers and installs any new or updated Required software to keep your computer up-to-date. This will usually happen within 30 minutes of your computer being turned on or reconnected to the network. You do not need to run any manual processes to update Required software.