This site requires JavaScript to be enabled


What's the difference between intermitting, discontinuing and withdrawing?


Intermitting and discontinuing from a course

Intermitting your course means taking an approved break from your studies at Deakin, while keeping your place in the course. This might be just for one study period or can be up to 12 months. After this period, you will be expected to resume your studies.

Discontinuing your course means withdrawing completely from your course and all enrolled units. You will give up your place in this course.

You should seek advice before intermitting or discontinuing from your course, as academic or financial penalties may apply depending on when you intermit or discontinue. You can speak with a Student Adviser from Student Central and visit the Intermit or Discontinue webpage to find out more about intermission and discontinuation.

If you decide to discontinue or intermit then you will need to submit your application through StudentConnect.

Withdrawing from units

If you need to withdraw from one or more of your units, you can do this in StudentConnect within the enrolment steps. You may also want to seek advice before withdrawing from a unit as academic or financial penalties may apply depending on when you withdraw. 

For more info on withdrawing from units, visit the Change your enrolment details website webpage or speak to a Student Adviser from Student Central.