This site requires JavaScript to be enabled

How do I defer?



If you would like to postpone starting your course and haven't enrolled yet, then you can apply for a deferral. Deferring will hold your place at the university for up to two years for domestic students, or one year for international students (some course exceptions apply).

Find out the requirements and instructions to defer on the How to defer webpage.


If you want to take a break from your course, but have already enrolled, then you can intermit instead. Intermission will let you suspend your studies for up to 12 months, while keeping your place. 

Please note, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, intermission taken during the 2020 and 2021 academic years does not count toward this allowance. However, intermission taken from 2022 onward will again count toward the 12 months/three compulsory study periods allowed for Deakin students.

In the event you need to make an application in excess of this, refer to the 'How long you can intermit' information below.

Find out more on the Intermit your course webpage.