This site requires JavaScript to be enabled

What should I do if I fail a unit?


If you fail a unit, there are several options for assistance. If you are facing hardship then Deakin offers support services including counselling, financial assistance, Medical Centres, disability support and Health and Wellbeing.

You can seek Deakin's help to better manage your study load and set you up to achieve the best in your studies by talking to your teaching staff, Unit Chair or Student Adviser. You are able to find the contact details for your Unit Chair and teaching staff on your unit site through CloudDeakin. You can contact a Student Adviser by submitting an online enquiry.

Be aware that failing the same unit twice, failing a compulsory practicum or placement, or failing at least 50% of credit points in two preceding study periods will result in you having unsatisfactory academic progress. You will be invited to explain why you haven't been doing well in your studies. Interventions might then be imposed on you to help you achieve your academic potential. Find out more on the Academic progress webpage.

For student who commenced their course from 2022 onwards, if you are in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) and fail 50 per cent or more of your units (including Withdrawn Late results), after attempting eight or more units, you will be judged to have a low completion rate. If you have a low completion rate you will no longer be eligible for Commonwealth assistance (studying in a CSP or getting HELP loans). Find out more about low completion and the Jobs-ready reforms from the Australian Government Jobs-ready Graduates – Frequently Asked Questions webpage.