The process involves the following important steps:
- CoE extension applications are online and hard-copy applications are not available.
- The process to provide an extension CoE can take up to 10 working days to receive an outcome.
- Ensure your contact details are updated on StudentConnect.
- Before you submit your visa application, ensure that you renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) if necessary, as OSHC must be valid to cover the entire period of your new expected visa*.
- To apply for a student visa, you will have to register for an ImmiAccount on the Department of Home Affairs website.
- If you have renewed your passport, you are required to send a copy of the new passport to: email@example.com.
- If you need help with further information about extending your CoE, you can contact Student Central for assistance.
- If you require migration advice or advice on applying for a student visa, you can contact a Registered Migration Agent/Lawyer. You can search for a Registered Migration Agent/Lawyer on the MARA website. Alternatively, you can book an appointment with Deakin’s Student Legal Service who have a Registered Migration Agent.
You can also find useful resources for students and updates & events on Post Study Options for international students or Student Visas on Deakin’s Student Legal Service web page.
Please note: Under the legislation, the University is not permitted to provide advice about migration or visas. Only the Department of Home Affairs, a Registered Migration Agent, or a Migration Lawyer are permitted to do so.
*Important information about OSHC:
- Your OSHC is not automatically extended with your COE extension. You should contact your OSHC provider for assistance with renewing your cover.
- OSHC is required for a longer duration than from the course start and end dates on your CoE. Your cover must be for the entire period of your stay in Australia.
- To be granted a student visa to cover a period of time longer than from your course start to your course end date, students must have a valid OSHC in place. Student visa applicants are advised to consider how much OSHC to purchase, as the visa end date cannot be changed once granted.
- Our recommendation is to purchase OSHC for a minimum of an additional 2 months to cover the result release period for your course and to cover the entire period of your stay in Australia. Deakin recommends you arrive in Australia at least two weeks before the commencement of your course.
- You may require OSHC for a few additional months if your course will finish at the end of the academic year. For example, if you complete your course at the end of trimester 2, your CoE will finish in November/December, therefore, you will be granted a visa until 15 March of the following year, provided you have OSHC until that date). This will cover the entire period of your stay in Australia.
More information can be viewed on the Department of Home Affair’s website ‘Length of stay for Student visas’.