At Deakin, we are committed to supporting all students affected by natural disasters when they occur, including bushfires. If you or your family have been impacted by a natural disaster, Deakin offers a variety of support services including financial assistance, replacement of lost essentials (e.g. books, laptops) flexibility with study deadlines and study support.
Deakin's Natural Disaster Assistant Packages include a personal combination of support services tailored to your needs. If you have been affected by a recent natural disaster visit the Natural disasters grants webpage to see what is available.
If you need further specific help, please contact one or more of the following services.
- Our Natural Disaster Assistance Packages include a personal combination of support services tailored to your needs.
- There are other loans and assistance available so check the Financial Assistance website for more information.
Study and counselling support
- If you need support within a unit, whether it be to discuss attendance or completing an assignment or assessment, contact your Unit Chair first. You’ll find their details on your relevant unit site in CloudDeakin.
- If you can’t complete an assessment task, check the eligibility and application process for special consideration.
- Counselling and psychological support is also available on the campuses and online. Visit the Counselling and Psychological Support or Deakin’s Multifaith Chaplains websites.
- International students can contact an International Student Support Officer (ISSO) for support. Contact Student Central who can refer you for an appointment with an ISSO.
Staying safe during an incident or natural disaster
It is essential you have the right information to keep safe. To stay up to date with any on-going natural disasters, the following sites are recommended, depending on your location. Each website features a map with the most current information, incidents and warnings.
- VicEmergency - an app is also available
- Queensland Rural Fire Service
- ACT Emergency Services Agency
- South Australian Country Fire Service
- NT Police, Fire & Emergency Services
- Tasmania Fire Service
- Emergency WA
- Western Australia
- Tasmania Alerts
- South Australian Emergencies
- Canberra Emergency
If you would like to help make a difference, the following organisations accept donations for disaster relief: